Week 4 Recap
Northview’s bid for a 4-0 start to the season came up short in overtime, as they fall 29-28 to the Holland Dutch. Wildcat fans were treated to a great high school football game. The Wildcats contained the dangerous Holland quarterback for the most part by dominating possession of the ball, timely defensive stops, and special teams play that included a successful onside kick and fake punt in the third quarter. Northview, tied with less than two minutes to play in the game and desperately trying to keep the Dutch out of the endzone benefited from a missed forty yard field goal with less than 5 seconds remaining in the game. This game of undefeated teams would head to overtime.
In overtime, the Wildcats scored quickly from the ten yard line on a quarterback keeper around the left end. The Dutch took their possession following the Wildcats extra point and also scored in two downs. The Dutch then attempted a 2pt conversion that simply took everyone’s breath away and the wind out of Northview’s sails. Holland quarterback kept the ball around the right side and amidst several diving would-be tacklers barely angled in to the end zone just inside the pylon. Heartbreak for the Wildcats.
Northview was led by Taylor Roberts with 107 yards on 20 carries and a touchdown. Darren Kapustka threw for one and ran for two on this very exciting evening. Kapustka ended with 241 yards of total offense. Kevin Rich had three of the most exciting catches you will see, one of them for naught. Brian Killinger led the defense with 11 tackles.
Even in defeat, the Wildcats seemed to answer some of the questions high school observers had about this time early on in the season. The Wildcats will travel to Houseman field next week to play the annual Plainfield Avenue rivalry game with Grand Rapids Creston. This will open up conference play in the very exciting OK White Conference.
Here were the stats for the game:
Score by Quarter
- N–Kevin Rich 10 yd. pass from Darren Kapustka, Mikowski (kick)
- H–Joey Seiler 1 yd. run, Israels (kick)
- N–Taylor Roberts 2 yd run, Mikowski (kick)
- H–Seiler 9 yd run, Israels (kick)
- N–Kaputska 10 yd run, Mikowski (kick)
- H–Corey Willis 37 yd run, Isaels (kick)
- N–Kaputska 3 yd run, Mikowski (kick)
- H–Willis 6 yd run (Willis 2 pt conversion)
- Northview–Taylor Roberts 21 attempts, 144 yds.
- Holland–Corey Willis 25 attempts, 170 yds.
- Northview–Darren Kaputska 7-11, 116 yds., 0 interceptions
- Holland–Corey Willis 1-2, 31 yds. 1 interception
- Northview–Max Carpenter 3 catches for 51 yds.
- Holland–Scott Tackett 1 catch for 31yds.
Reported by: Kyle Johnson, Senior, Multimedia Productions Class